- The day of the vernal equinox.
- The day the first rock sandpiper arrives in town.
- The day that your favorite restaurant opens for the season.
- The day the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, instead of whatever weird alternate schedule it’s been following since November.
- The first day when you can actually see grass in your yard.
- The first day that the grass actually looks green.
- The day you drain the antifreeze out of the water system on your boat/RV/vacation home.
- The day the humpback whales return from Hawaii.
- The day your neighbor returns from Hawaii.
- The day you can smell the dog poop melting out of snow on the waterfront.
- The day you take the studded tires off of the car.
- The day when ice is no longer filling in all the potholes on the road to the dump.
- The day you can see the yellow parking lines in the Safeway parking lot.
- The day a motorhome camps at the campground.
- The day a tent camper camps at the campground.
- The first day that the bears raid trash cans on Dora Way.
- The day the first cruise ship arrives in port.
- The first day of salmon-fishing season.
- The day you realize its been a week since you had to scrape ice off of your car.
- The day you walk outside without a coat and don’t regret the decision.
- The day you want to eat ice cream.
- The day you run into a seasonal worker who’s gotten back into town.
- The day you spot your first group of tourists.
- The day you see a leaf sprouting on a cottonwood tree.
- The day you decide that the skis should probably go back in the garage.
- The day you grill outside.
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Alaskan Signs of Spring
Spring in Alaska is...